Wednesday, November 23, 2005

678 Square Feet

The cable guy just left. Now all is right with the world. I've got my superfast internet. I've got my digital cable with way too many channels. I've got the DVR *SIGH*. A guy from the church gave me his son's old PS2 and some games. I rented NCAA 2005, and am right in the middle of a dynasty season in which LSU is 6-0, and ranked number 2 in the nation (so far). I am this close to staying in Houston for the Thanksgiving holiday and just laying in front of the TV. Seriously - I'm trying to imagine something more fun than this.

I can't.

I wondered if I would be miserable in a tiny little apartment all by myself. I thought I might be lonely, or that I wouldn't have enough room. Well, 678 square feet is plenty of room for me. Of the 5 nights I've spent here, I've had company for 3 of them - and there was plenty of room for them, too. Also, there are distinct advantages to living all by myself. I can wear or not wear whatever the heck I want. If somebody eats all of something, I know exACtly who it was. When somebody forgets to flush - same thing. I can stay up as late as I want, and if I fall asleep with the TV on? Nobody cares. Heck, nobody even KNOWS. Somehow, the darn thing always ends up turned off in the morning. And no, it's not a sleep timer - it's the elves, or something. I've got a sweet new coffee table and matching end tables, 3 new lamps, a fake plant for the little nook above my bar, and a cool-looking brand new phone that's not turned on yet.

I just got up to drink a little bit of milk. Straight out of the jug! That's just how I roll. I can do that now. When you come to my house, and want some milk - you better ask first. Just in case. Anyway - when I did, I noticed something. Obviously all milk has an expiration date, and it's not a hard and fast rule, just a guideline blahblahblahblahblah.... whatever. Drinking milk past its expiration date is not a chance I am willing to take. Even if it's just the next day. Heck, even if it's the same day - I'll actually stop to think about it. My milk has an expiration date of November 28. People are always like - "What? You think that on November 27th it's good, but at the stroke of midnight, it sours and curdles immediately?" People think they are sooo funny. No, I do not think that's what happens. I think it's more like 8:21 PM, and here's why -

IT SAYS SO ON MY MILK.

I wouldn't mess with you about something so serious. My milk not only has an expiration date, it has an expiration time. I wish I had a picture. Mock on, you scoffers! What comment have you naysayers on THAT!?

So yeah. I hadn't really planned out this post or anything, so there's no real beginning, middle or end. So...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am EXACTLY the same way about milk. My mom insists that it is a sell-by date, but I refuse to drink it even the same day as the exp. date. It is, in fact, one of the reasons I switched to soy.

That and the lactose intolerance.

And yes, nothing rules quite like living alone.

krysten said...

i have never lived alone.

i feel like that needs to be seen on a PostSecret card, haha!

i have VERY strict food rules and expiration dates are hard and fast with me. that is the date that the people who made it says it will EXPIRE...who am i to question their authority on the matter???