Saturday, April 1, 2006

Number one with a bullet-point

It's J.T.'s 100th post extravaganza!!
In celebration of my hundredth post, may I present to you - bullet-points.

- It's halftime of the LSU/UCLA game, and things are not looking good for the Fightin' Tigers. That's okay, though - because our boys are no strangers to a point deficit - not for years. Anyway, I have confidence that even if they don't win this one - they can erase the 15 points that currently seperate them from UCLA. If they DO win, then look out Florida. No way you beat us twice in a row. Either way - Congratulations, guys. You played a great season, and got infinitely further than I ever figured. Your games vs. Texas A&M, Duke, and Texas provided me enough thrills to last me a long time. Can't wait until next year, when I'll tune in earlier in your season. GEAUX TIGERS!

- How about this week's LOST, huh? I'm still debriefing on that one. How about that map that Locke saw when the black light came on? Full of diagrams and Latin phrases. Well, for your edification, here are a couple of enhancements and translations of said map. I think you'll find them interesting.


(Click either one to enlarge)

- Anybody see those "The More You Know" PSA's done by the cast of The Office this past Thursday? Too funny, man. I'd embed the video of them here, but I'm a little gun shy right now, for reasons I'll mention in the next bullet point. Instead, you can find them right here on the NBC site. I think my favorites are the ones about calling your own fouls, and taping yourself having sex.

- So, a couple of days ago, I was checking the Stat-Tracker on this site, and saw a couple of visits from an unexpected place. The U.S. Department of Justice. A couple of weeks ago I linked to a video from youtube.com of the West Wing promo that showed Josh and Donna finally getting their kiss on. I'm not sure if maybe there's somebody in the D.O.J. who really enjoys TWW, and was checking out a several-weeks-old promo video on youtube on taxpayer time - or if the D.O.J. is issuing a round of fines and subpoenas for people who use video that's not theirs. You think I should be worried? I can't imagine NBC being upset about it, though. After all, I'm giving them for free what they would normally have to pay for. Right? Right?

I took the video down.

- GiGi is a lady at my church who runs the Journey Bookstore. She's the coolest, really. Always makes me smile. Periodically on Thursday nights, the bookstore hosts a special lecture, or teaching on specific subjects. A while back, GiGi asked me to do one on some Jewish traditions, or something... I forget exactly. That kind of pumped me up, because we all know how I love the Jews, and their traditions. I guess I let that one slide a little bit, b/c she came back to me with a different idea, and this time - she brought dates. She asked me to do a lesson on De-bunking the Da Vinci Code. Now, I gotta be really honest here. I've never even read the Da Vinci Code. I'm not even all that sure it needs to be de-bunked. I'm not even sure what bunk is, or if the Da Vinci Code contains any. What if I read the book, and really enjoy it? That's not outside the realm of possibility. I'm actually kind of excited about the movie that's coming out. Well, GiGi is not the kind of lady that you can say no to. So, here I am - de-bunking scheduled for the end of April. I guess I'm looking forward to it.

- Brian McLaren's new book, The Secret Message Of Jesus is out. That pretty much means that all my other reading (after the Da Vinci Code is done, of course) will get put on hold. Blissfully on hold.

- By the way - if you read this, and you're on MySpace and haven't found me yet, look me up. www.myspace.com/b0y1der

Well, that's all I got. How's that for a 100th post? I could probably have covered all of those if I had bothered to post at all in the last couple of weeks.

J.T. out!

8 comments:

Cb22 said...

"secret" message of Jesus?

Sounds like Gnosticism to me...

Ron Henzel said...

Good thing I kept my Captain Midnight Decoder Ring.

J.T. said...

CB - McLaren says as much on his site.

"A number of people have asked about the title. Some people are concerned that it has 'Gnostic connotations.' Obviously, I was aware that some might draw this conclusion, but my main audience for the book (and really, for most of my books) is not members of the Christian subculture who would even know what 'Gnostic' means. Instead, my primary audience is the 'spiritual but not religious' people who are interested in what Jesus was about, but are generally turned off by the Religious Right, institutional religion, etc. I felt that the title would connect with this audience, and I was willing to risk being misunderstood for that purpose. Jesus, I think, took similar risks again and again.

As I worked on the book, I was repeatedly struck by how 'strategically indirect' Jesus was – hiding his message in parable, sign, and wonder. I began to realize that this strategy of hiddenness was integral to Jesus’ whole message and ministry. I think people who read the book will be struck by this theme as well."

Cb22 said...

Thats good.

a championed member of institutionalized religion (you... you are a youth minister after all) supporting books against institutional religion...

burns me too... What are we going to do with ourselves when we just can't fit in the mold anymore?

J.T. said...

We will celebrate, that's what we'll do. Until then, I'll take their money. Will you?

It's like the Buddha says, man - "Change must come from within."

Anonymous said...

hey JT, i'm pretty sure we've never met, but i noticed your assignment to debunk da vinci or whatever. i work for Josh McDowell and he just wrote a book about all the factual errors and whatnot in the book. you can check out the website at www.josh.davinciquest.org. . . . . .

J.T. said...

Thanks Ryan. I'll take all the help I can get. Even if it IS from Josh McDowell.



Just kidding, yo.

Anonymous said...

are you anti-josh? why? don't worry, i'm just curious, even though i work for him i understand he didn't write the Bible and i know other people who have issues with him. wow, did i backpedal quickly enough? :) anyway, i'd be interested in hearing your views on josh, pro or con. you can e=mail me at ryan.busboom@josh.org if you'd like. Thanks!