Friday, August 30, 2013

Random Thoughts #2: I probably shouldn't write books

I'm sitting here at the Lanier Theological Library studying for that sermon I have to give on Sunday. One of the books I'm reading is a favorite of mine - Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller. It occurred to me that he draws a lot of theological conclusions based on his life circumstances and experiences. Conclusions I really like. He also uses some awkward language sometimes that sounds like it was written by somebody trying to write books. As I was reading, I wondered if he would write the same things today. This book was written in 2004, before he was really very well-known, and I bet some things have changed for him. He's probably matured as a writer, and as a theologian, and as a man. I wonder if he'd cringe if he re-read some of his older stuff.

I'm probably just projecting myself onto him, because I'm pretty sure that's what would happen to me. I have changed so much in the last 10 years, I can't imagine agreeing with anything I wrote back then. It happens routinely when I go back to old posts on this blog. Anyway - the conclusion I came here to put down on virtual paper is twofold:

1. Maybe young people shouldn't write books because their ideas are probably evolving pretty quickly, and they can't be trusted to articulate something concrete and lasting while that is occurring. (Please don't send me a list of great things that were written or created by young people. I know it's possible, but as a general rule, maybe younger folks shouldn't draw CONCLUSIONS about things.)

2. Maybe older folks shouldn't write books either because I don't know if I trust somebody who hasn't changed their mind about anything in years and years. Once people have enough experience to reach good conclusions, I bet they tend to stop letting new ideas and information in. I don't know if I'm interested in that kind of thinking, either.

In summary - at the occasion of this writing, I am 36 years old. It's up to you, dear reader, to decide for which of those 2 reasons you will completely disregard what i am posting right now.

No comments: